The commemoration of Philippine “Independence Day” on June 12 will ironically be celebrated at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C.
The celebration, organized by the Philippine Embassy, raises the question - why the Trump International Hotel? On June 11, the day before the Philippine Embassy’s celebration, a federal judge will hear arguments on the constitutionality of President Donald Trump‘s hotel receiving payments from foreign governments. On the other hand, concerned Filipinos and allies see the Philippine Embassy’s choice of celebration venue as a desperate move by the Duterte government to curry favor with the Trump administration.
Such a choice raises questions regarding whose interests the Duterte government is protecting, especially amidst the clamor for investigation of the detention and torture of Jerome Aba (a Moro, or Muslim, Filipino human rights defender) by agents of the U.S. Customs Border and Protection and of the U.S. Homeland Security at SFO International airport on April 19, 2018. With the escalation of extra-judicial killings and the intensification of Martial Law in Mindanao, Muslim and indigenous communities on U.S. soil and in the Philippines continue to be targeted under the guise of Duterte’s Oplan Kapayapaan - a strategic blueprint of the U.S. War on Terror in the Philippines which has intensified under the Trump’s administration.
Given this alarming situation, we invite all individuals and organizations who continue to hope and work for a truly independent Philippines, who care about the dignity of every human being, who support the right of peoples to struggle for their legitimate economic, social and civil-political rights, and who are alarmed by the ongoing subversion of democracy in the Philippines to join a protest action outside the Trump-owned International Hotel while the celebration takes place inside the Trump Hotel.
- Investigate the DHS and CBP’s detention and torture of Jerome Aba!
- Justice for Jerome, Justice for Muslims!
- Stop the political repression of activism and the criminalization of opposition by both Duterte and Trump governments under the pretext of the “U.S. War on Terror”!
- Condemn the unjust and unconstitutional move of the Duterte administration to oust Chief Justice Sereno and the subversion of democracy in the Philippines!
- Stop Lumad Kilings! (Lumad meaning Indigenous Peoples of Mindanao, Philippines)
- Stop the U.S. War Machine, End the Killings in the Philippines!
- No to US funding for a Repressive Duterte regime!
- Uphold Genuine Democracy & Strengthen Philippine Nationalism!
- GABRIELA Washington, DC
- Justice for Muslims Collective
- Malaya Movement
- International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines - US
- Migrante DMV
- US Filipinos for Good Governance - DC
- Peoples Power Assembly
- Workers World Party Baltimore
- Workers World Party DC
- Youth Against War & Racism