Beginning in the Middle Ages, the Catholic Church has celebrated an annual Red Mass to invoke blessings on those judges and lawyers responsible for the administration of justice. This tradition came to the United States almost 100 years ago, and to Washington, DC’s Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in 1953. It has been attended by Supreme Court justices, presidents, cabinet officials, Congressmembers, lawyers, and law students.
This year, LGBTQIA+ rights have been under attack.
On the eve of the Supreme Court’s 2018-2019 term, the DC Sisters will celebrate these rights, and the lawyers and other advocates and activists for justice who have fought for them, in the Inaugural Lavender Mass on Sunday afternoon, September 30th, at the Lutheran Church of the Reformation on Capitol Hill.
As part of the Mass, the Sisters will conduct a ritual cleansing of LGBTQIA+ discrimination in the courts and in our society, and recite a sequence of prayers invoking love and acceptance in the future. Speakers will include representatives of national organizations serving and seeking justice for the LGBTQIA+ community. The event will conclude with a procession to the Supreme Court and the laying of a wreath commemorating LGBTQIA+ rights.
Honorees will include these organizations fighting for our rights:
* GLBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders
* Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund
* Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
* GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)
* Human Rights Campaign
* Lambda Legal
* National Black Justice Coalition
* National Center for Lesbian Rights
* National Center for Transgender Equality
* National LGBTQ Task Force
* OutServe – Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN)
* PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays)
* The Trevor Project
* Transgender Law Center
* ACLU Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and HIV Project
(list in formation)
Cookies and other refreshments will be served!
Sign language interpreter available; other accommodations available on request.
QUESTIONS? ACCOMMODATION REQUESTS? CONTACT THE DC SISTERS AT